Buenos Aires is the capital Argentina and it is the country's largest city. It is located in front of the Río de La Plata, it is a modern, dynamic and radiant city that features the European architecture of its founders and absorbs the passion of its people.
Buenos Aires has an intense cultural life where tango, long coffee klatches and soccer are essential elements in its people daily lives
Visitors can enjoy a variety of activities. During the day you can visit museums, historical places, walk along the Avenida de Mayo, take a guided tour or simply have a coffee at a café on the Avenida 9 de Julio. At night you can go to a Tango show in San Telmo, have dinner in a typical "parrillada" or go to a pub to listen to live rock or jazz bands.
Cabildo was designed by Jesuit architect Andrés Blanqui in 1580, this was the first government building in the city of Buenos Aires at the time it was founded. As time went by, it underwent many changes and renovations from its original construction. It is now a museum where a collection of old weapons are displayed.
Government House or Pink house which houses the Executive Power is famous for its pink exterior, statues and lush furnishings. This is one of the buildings that borders the historical Plaza de Mayo square. It was built between 1891 and 1902 by the architect Juan Cagnoni. The plot was donated to the General José de San Martín for his military conquests. The Granaderos, an elite army group with colorful uniforms, guard the building.
The Cathedral is the scenery of the most important church given in celebration of national holidays in the president's presence. This neoclassical cathedral was built in the XVIII century and is the resting place of Liberator General José de San Martín's ashes, which is constantly guarded by a group of grenadiers. It is situated in Rivadavia avenue, opposite the Plaza de Mayo.
Plaza de Mayo is the witness to the most important events in Argentinean history. It is surrounded by such symbolic buildings such as the Cabildo, the Cathedral, and the Casa Rosada, offices of the President of the Nation.
May Pyramid is located in the center of the Plaza de Mayo, is the oldest national monument in the City of Buenos Aires. It dates from the 25th of May of 1811 and was the first monument built in Buenos Aires commemorating the revolution of 1810. It was later covered with bricks increasing its size and adding a statue representing the "Republic" on the top. The original pyramid is in perfect conditions and is located in the inside of this one. The monument is crowned by an allegory of Liberty which is the work of the French sculptor Joseph Dubourdieu. The Pyramid measures 18.76 meters
May Avenue is an avenue which connects the Plaza de Mayo with Congressional Plaza, and extends 1.5 km in a west-east direction before merging into Rivadavia Avenue. This avenue has been and still is the stage of social marches and political rallies since it was designed at the end of the 19th century. Along its way there are beautiful buildings with big domes and other forms of art.
General Post Office is a classic French style building which was designed by French architect Norbert Maillar and inaugurated on 1928. The recently renovated interior still houses the original equipment used for customer service. The building was designated a National Historic Monument in 1997.
The Palace of Congress is the legislative branch of the government of Argentina Situated at the end of Avenida de Mayo. This building houses the Argentine Congress. The building was designed by Italian architect Víctor Meano and it was inaugurated in 1906. Its exterior is Greek-Roman, with a coating of white marble, Corinthian columns and decorated edges.
Plaza De Los Dos Congresos is comprised of a series of small squares, each one with a unique monument, being the replica of Rodin's "The Thinker" the most famous. It contains a large monolith that represents the start (Km 0) for all its national highways. This plaza almost encompasses three city blocks and is an ideal place for recreation and rest.
Tortoni Coffee House where tango and jazz bands still play at night was founded in 1858, Café Tortoni is the oldest coffee shop in the whole country. With a very rich history, it is visited at all times by intellectuals, politicians and artists. This Art Nouveau building was built in 1858.
El Molino Coffee House is legendary meeting place was designed by Italian architect Francesco Teresio Gianotti. The place was built between 1914 and 1917. It has a big dome, slated roofs with golden edges, square glasses and the still shafts of a mill in the exterior. Its lounges gathered personalities of the social, artistic, intellectual and political life and witnessed innumerable displays of civic life and of the institutional evolution of the Republic. The new Confitería del Molino was declared National Historical Monument in 1997.
Monumental Tower is located in the center of the Plaza Britannia renamed Plaza Aeronáutica Argentina and it was built by British residents who wanted to celebrate the centenary of the May Revolution of 1810 and was inaugurated on May 24, 1916. The tower changed its name from "Torre de los Ingleses" (The British Tower) to “Torre Monumental” (Monumental Tower) after the Falklands war in 1982.
Kavanagh Building was designed by the architects Sánchez, Lagos and De la Torre, was the highest concrete structure in South America when it was inaugurated in 1936. It has 32 floors and it is 120 meters high. The building is characterised by the austerity of lines, the lack of external ornamentation and its large prismatic volumes. It was declared a National Historic Monument in 1999.
Retiro Railway Station is one of the oldest and and a the same time largest railway station of the country and is the point of arrival and departure of more than 30 railway lines as well as a stop for the C subway line. It was built in 1915 by British architect Eustace Louriston Conder.
Florida Street is the city's most famous street and an important commercial area where leather clothing, shoes, record stores and numerous newsstands as well as restaurants and cafes light the street day and night. There can be many street artists entertaining tourists with their tango dancing.
Plaza San Martín is situated at the northern end of pedestrianized Florida Street. It was known as the Battlefield of Glory in the early 1800's for being the place where the people of Buenos Aires heroically defended themselves against the British invasion of 1807. This beautiful square has a magnificent landscaping design and among its sculptures and monuments are the "General José de San Martín Monument" and the "Monument Honoring the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen who died during the Falkland Islands war.
Santa Fé Avenue: This is a very modern and commercial avenue which totatlly focuses on shopping. The most well-known stores are located along this street as well as galleries and boutiques.
Recoleta Cemetery was founded in 1822 by the Recoletos monks and it is internationally renowned for having famous sculptures, tombs and mausoleums of illustrious political figures and Argentine families. Among the sculptures there are numerous works by Lola Mora and among the famous people buried here, are Eva Perón, Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, Leandro Alem etc.
Obelisk is a 67 meters high obelisk which was designed by Argentine architect Alberto Prebisch. The image of the Obelisk is one that is commonly used to represent Buenos Aires and Argentina. With the magnitude of the building itself, as well as its radical location on two of the world’s largest streets, it’s no wonder it has become such a recognizable figure. The complete construction of the Obelisk took only 31 days back in 1936. Its pencil-like structure is said to have been used to commemorate the forced kidnapping and torture of 10 students during Argentina’s last dictatorship.
Colón Theater was inaugurated on the May 25, 1908 and is the most important lyric theater in Latin America. It shows strong influences of Italian renaissance and the interior's dome was painted by Raúl Soldi in 1966. Its shows opera, ballet and classical music concerts and it also houses the Ballet School where famous dancers like Julio Bocca, Maximiliano Guerra and Paloma Herrera attended.
San Telmo is the neighborhood which was inhabited by aristocratic families towards the end of the 19th century. Nowadays, its a neighborhood with narrow streets, colonial patios and with a bohemian smell in the air. There are art schools and arts and crafts fair as well as tango-show places.